Team Leader Gauntlet
Develop leadership skills for managers and supervisors
with pragmatic content, discussions, and activities.
Being a leader is all about leading teams. In this fun but informative leadership development program, both current and future team leaders get a foundational understanding of what a team needs in order to be successful, and important insights into their personal leadership skills and style. A series of content modules, activities and discussions help each participant craft their own action plan for enhancing their leadership skills.
- Understand the difference between leadership and management.
- Network with other leaders and gain their feedback and insights.
- Discover personal leadership style and strengths.
- Develop an on-going team improvement system.
Welcome & Warm-Ups (5-10 minutes) Atlanta Challenge staff welcome the group and set expectations for the leadership development program. We then lead some fun warm-up activities that get the group moving and ready to fully participate.
Intro Challenge (15-30 minutes) We jump right into the program with a thought provoking activity that requires ideas and input from the entire group to solve. This gets everyone engaged and thinking about what they want to get out of the program.
Leadership Styles Matrix (30-45 minutes) There’s no one right way to be a team leader. This interactive project gives participants a clearer understanding of their primary thinking and management style, and how the different styles may impact the people they lead.
Leadership 360 Challenges (60-90 minutes) These hands-on leadership activities require brainstorming, collaboration, planning, and creative problem solving. Activities are selected to help participants identify and utilize different leadership strategies. After each challenge, the designated leader receives a 360 review of their leader- ship skills from the team. By the end of this segment, all participants will have led their group at least once.
- Synchronicity Each team must design and build a “product layout” – but it must match every other team’s layout. The leaders of each team must network with the other leaders to ensure consistency, while directing their individual teams to create matching designs while having different resources.
- Product Transport Each team has materials that be- long in another team’s location. All teams must rear- range the products to ensure that everything is in the right place at the right time. Team leaders will need to coordinate their team’s movements with the other team leaders to ensure safe and efficient transitions, and communicate the plan effectively to their own teams.
- Design Elements Each team leader is given an assortment of materials and some design parameters for a project that their team must build. To be successful, their project must also align with the projects designed and built by the other teams. Leaders must manage their team while networking with the other leaders.
Teamwork Compass® (20-30 minutes) We review the Teamwork Compass®, giving leaders a framework for developing and maintaining a successful team. This simple but powerful tool keeps leaders focused and teams motivated because it covers all of the essentials, not just the preferences of the leader’s personality.
Closing Debrief & Wrap-up Activity (5-10 minutes) The group acknowledges accomplishments of the day and discusses how to incorporate the lessons after the program.
“On behalf of the entire management team, thank you for providing us with an informative but fun day.”